Ohio Mu (Ashland) Phi Gary W. Starr has been Mayor of Middleburg Heights, Ohio since January 1981. He was elected to three terms as a city councilman prior to becoming mayor.
Mayor Starr grew up in Middleburg Heights. He graduated from Midpark High School and holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Ashland University. He earned his law degree (Juris Doctor) from Cleveland Marshall Law School.
Mayor Starr is a member of the Cuyahoga County Mayors & City Managers Association.
He currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (1994-present) and has served on the Board of Trustees for Southwest General Hospital (1977-1981), the New Stadium Corporation (now Gateway) and the North Coast Harbor Corporation (Rock & Roll Hall of Fame).
Mayor Starr has received numerous awards throughout his life, including being named by the Ohio Jaycees as one of the “Five Outstanding Young Men” in the state of Ohio in 1985.
He was named to the first class of the Midpark High School Hall of Fame in 1993.
Other items of note:
- Longest-serving mayor and elected official in the history of Middleburg Heights – 34 consecutive years
- Was one of the youngest mayors of a city in the State of Ohio – Age 30 in January 1981
- One of the longest-serving mayors presently in Ohio – 34 years
- Elected to four consecutive terms as trustee to the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District by his fellow mayors, representing 39 Northeast Ohio communities. (NEORSD is the largest sewer district in Ohio)
- Member of the Cuyahoga County Mayors and City Managers Association
- Member of the Mayors Association of Ohio