The LiveLikeLou Foundation is committed to supporting Hope Loves Company, an organization which provides free-of-charge support specifically designed for the children and grandchildren of people who live with Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis, or ALS. As Lou Gehrig’s Fraternity and part of our commitment to Leave ALS Better Than We Found It, Phi Delta Theta connects brothers to participate as virtual camp counselors throughout the year or to volunteer at regional summer camps, to support these brave kids and give them experiences they might not otherwise enjoy because of the disease in their family.
Children who have loved ones affected by ALS often must set aside their free time to help their families with care giving. They also often face the social stigma and economic burden that is the result of ALS. The Hope Loves Company programs blend structured support, customized curriculum, and all the standard fun of typical summer camps – campfires, sailing, skits, swimming, s’mores and more!
We Need Volunteers!
We are seeking volunteers from undergraduates and alumni who can dedicate time to Hope Loves Company kids. Phi Delta Theta volunteers can be of any age. Brothers with no direct summer camp experience but a great work ethic and sense of fun with kids are welcome to apply. Those with experience in the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: Creation of Visual Arts, Dance, Performing Music, EMT, Grief Counseling or Social Work, Yoga Instruction, Skit/Play Coordination, Boy/Girl Scouts, Summer Camp Volunteer, Direct Experience with ALS.
Any Phi Delt who commits to Hope Loves Company will receive an ONWARD long-sleeve shirts from the LiveLikeLou Foundation.
Virtual Camp Counselors:
- Write articles of support, birthday cards, or blog posts to children facing ALS in their families
- Mentor teen-aged kids on college plans
- Join a virtual Hiker or Guide chat
- Provide live or recorded performances of story telling, special skills (juggling, gardening, magic tricks), camp chants, musical performances or skits
- Commit to attend multiple virtual camp sessions via Zoom from Friday night through Sunday afternoon
- Participate in a telephone interview with a camp coordinator
- Participate in a planning call just prior to the camp dates
Remaining 2020 Hope Loves Company Virtual Summer Camps:
- Illinois – September 18 – 20
- New Jersey – Oct 9 – 11
- California – October 30 – November 1
- Georgia – November 20-22
Please know that there is limited availability for each camp.