As part of our We Are Phi Delt campaign, we asked chapters to give us an insight into what it’s like to be a Phi on their college campus. We understand that no chapter experience is the same, and therefore we should share the unique aspects of our schools, cities, and brotherhood!
Chapters can complete this form for custom We Are Phi Delt logos and an opportunity to be featured online.
We Are Michigan Alpha at the University of Michigan
University location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Number of undergraduates on campus: 31,266
Chapter size: 79
Year founded: 1864
Number of initiated members: 2,257
School mascot: Wolverine
School colors: Maize and blue
Number of Greek organizations on campus: Fifty-five (twenty IFC, seventeen NPC, six NPHC, twelve NMGC)
Favorite school traditions: Mud Bowl and Winterfest
Favorite restaurant near campus: Good Time Charley’s
- Roy Chapin, 1903, US Secretary of Commerce
- Francis Wistert, ’34, Football player
- Thomas Harmon, ’41, All-American sportswriter & announcer, 1940 Heisman Trophy Winner
- Albert Wistert, ’42, offensive tackle with Philadelphia Eagles, 1943-51
- John Greene, ’44, wide receiver with Detroit Lions, 1940s-50s
- Roger Smith, ’46, former General Motors chairman
- E. Smith, ’48, pioneer rocket scientist
- Harold “Tubby” Raymond, ’50, football and baseball player and coach
- Robert Hollway, ’50, assistant GM Minnesota Vikings, head coach, St. Louis Cardinals
- Robert James, ’61, two-time Grammy Award-winning smooth jazz keyboardist, arranger, and record producer
Fun fact about your school: Our football stadium has the highest capacity college football stadium in the country.
Fun fact about your chapter: On March 22, 1983, the State of Michigan Historic Preservation Office placed our chapter house on the Michigan Register of Historic Places. The fraternity house has significance as an early Georgian Revival-style residence and recalls one of the University of Michigan’s oldest social fraternities.
Fun fact about the city where your school is located: Six miles of tunnels exist beneath the city.
Top three things a visitor should do:
- Attend a football game at the Big House
- Hammock on Diag
- Eat at Good Time Charley’s
Follow Michigan Alpha