As part of our We Are Phi Delt campaign, we asked chapters to give us an insight into what it’s like to be a Phi on their college campus. We understand that no chapter experience is the same, and therefore we should share the unique aspects of our schools, cities, and brotherhood!
Chapters can complete this form for custom We Are Phi Delt logos and an opportunity to be featured online.
We Are Ohio Epsilon at the University of Akron
University location: Akron, Ohio
Number of undergraduates on campus: 13,651
Chapter size: 82
Year founded: 1875
Number of initiated members: 2,048
School mascot: Zippy the Kangaroo
School colors: Blue and gold
Number of Greek organizations on campus: Twenty-three (twelve IFC, six PHC, and five NPHC)
Favorite school traditions:
- Getting excited about the sporting events. The student organization, AK-Rowdies, promotes team spirit and works the student section to build excitement at the sporting events. We are passionate about our school and our teams, and we let the other teams know it!
- Homecoming and family weekend events such as the 5k, campus tours, tailgates, and Akron football games.
- Springfest, our annual end-of-the-semester celebration. It is held the last Friday before spring semester finals, UA students, faculty, and staff turn Coleman Common into party central with inflatables, live entertainment, Ultimate SpringFest Challenge for graduating seniors, freebies, fireworks, and so much more.
- The Wagon Wheel Game, which is the annual football game against our rivals, The Kent State Flashes. The winner of the game gets the Wagon Wheel Trophy which is the actual wagon wheel from the horse-drawn carriage of the founder of our university.
Favorite restaurant near campus: Akron Family Restaurant
- Paul Martin, ’35, president of the Martin Automotive Group and trustee, Phi Delta Theta Educational Foundation
- Dom Demkee ’60, University of Akron Board of Trustees and Phi Delta Theta Educational Foundation Trustee
- John Costello, ’68, former senior executive at Dunkin Brands, The Home Depot
- Dan Moldea, ’72, American best-selling author and investigative journalist
Fun facts about your school:
- We have one of the only female mascots in the world, Zippy the Kangaroo
- The very first Zippy the Kangaroo was a Phi Delt
- The College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering is the world’s largest polymer academic program
- The College of Engineering student design teams are consistently ranked as some of the best in the world at competitions
Fun facts about your chapter:
- We have won both the Oxford and Founders trophies in the past six years. We have also been back-to-back contenders for the Founders Trophy two years in a row.
- We’ve had five alumni win Phi Delta Theta’s Gardner Alumnus of the Year award.
- Our local alumni have given active members over $1 million since 1980 in academic scholarships.
- The Phi Delta Theta National Headquarters is named after an Ohio Epsilon alumnus, Paul E. Martin.
Fun facts about the city where your school is located:
- Charles E. Menches invented the ice cream cone, hamburger, and caramel corn in Akron.
- Akron is home to one of the largest buildings in the United States that have no internal supports. It is twenty-two stories tall and is used by Goodyear to build its blimps. Its sheer height causes it to rain inside the building.
- Akron is home to the Quaker Oats Company.
- Lebron James was born and raised in Akron.
Top three things a visitor should do:
- Go to an Akron Zips men’s soccer game (They are one of the best college soccer teams in the US)
- Get a picture with Zippy
- Take a tour of one of the most beautiful college campuses in the US
Unique features of your chapter house: We have two libraries and a movie theater
Follow Ohio Epsilon