In just a few weeks, the Canadian Foundation will be selecting its 2020 Leadership and Scholarship Award winners from chapters across Canada. Rewarding our emerging leaders and scholars is what the Foundation is all about, and it’s all made possible through the financial support we receive from Canadian fraternity alumni.
Snapshot of Phi Delta Theta in Canada:
- Ontario Delta (York) won the Housser Trophy as most outstanding Canadian chapter for the first time.
- Quebec Alpha (McGill) was re-installed as a chapter in November 2019.
- Ontario Alpha (Toronto) was inducted as an emerging chapter in November 2019.
- British Columbia Gamma (UBC Okanagan) in Kelowna was inducted as an emerging chapter in February 2020.
- Ontario Eta interest group (Queen’s) currently is currently working toward emerging chapter status this fall.
Canadian Foundation Update:
- We are a CRA-registered charity mandated to promote scholarship and leadership among emerging university leaders in Canada. Primary revenues are from Canadian alumni; donations are 100 percent tax-deductible.
- Since 1974, the Foundation has awarded over $330,000 to 298 undergraduates at campuses where we have a Canadian chapter.
- In 2019, we disbursed a record $28,000 to twenty-eight Canadian undergraduates at ten campuses (including nine leadership awards).
- The Canadian Foundation has worked with alumni at the University of Manitoba to establish the Manitoba Alpha Leadership Award—the goal of raising $300,000 for a dedicated fund is almost complete. We awarded our first Manitoba Alpha Leadership Award this year.
Our appeal to You:
- In 2019, the Canadian Foundation saw a record number of donations from alumni as well as a record number of awards granted. Given the high cost of university tuition and housing—and in this age of COVID-19—the financial strain on undergraduates is bigger than ever and we need to be a part of the solution facing our emerging leaders. We can only do so with the financial support of our Canadian fraternity alumni.
- Our all-volunteer board has succeeded in keeping the Canadian Foundation’s annual administrative expenses extremely low (under $1,500) which allows us to direct almost all of our annual donations directly to leadership development initiatives and awards.
To those who contributed in 2019—thank you! Now is the time to help the Canadian Foundation so that we can continue to strengthen our Fraternity across Canada. Please make a tax-deductible contribution today (and receive a tax receipt instantly) via CanadaHelps at www.PhiDeltaTheta.ca.
Yours in the Bond,
Rob McInnes, Chairman
Phi Delta Theta Canadian Foundation