The Legion of Merit Award honors those outstanding members of our Fraternity who have made a lifelong commitment to the service of Phi Delta Theta. The recipients of this award are not only living testimony that Phi Delta Theta is a “Fraternity for Life,” but they are also the men who give this phrase meaning for so many Phis.
M. Scott Mietchen was initiated into the Utah Alpha Chapter at the University of Utah on December 6, 1980, and went on to serve his chapter in numerous chapter officer positions, as well as being designated “Phi Delta Theta Man of the Year.” Upon graduation, Brother Mietchen spent two years on the Phi Delta Theta General Headquarters Staff as a traveling Chapter Consultant from 1984 to 1986. He attained his Master of Public Administration at the University of Utah in 1991, and later became a Certified Fund Raising Executive with the National Society of Fund Raising Executives in 1995.
Professionally, Brother Mietchen is President and Managing Partner of Fund Raising Counsel, Inc. in Salt Lake City, Utah. He had previously served as Vice President for University Advancement & President of the Utah State University Foundation; and from 1992 to 2004, he held the positions of Director of Major Gifts, and Executive Director of Development at his alma mater, the University of Utah, where he has been an adjunct instructor with the Department of Political Science for almost 25 years.
Scott’s devotion to the Fraternity, the Utah Alpha Chapter, and the University of Utah spans decades. He was elected to Phi Delta Theta’s General Council and served as Member-at-Large, Reporter, and Treasurer; and then led the Fraternity as General Council President from 2010-2012. An extensive list of Brother Mietchen’s past and current involvement includes, but is not limited to:
- Salt Lake City Alumni Club’s Alumnus of the Year
- Founder and President of the Interfraternity Alumni Association at the University of Utah
- Junior League of Salt Lake City, Inc.
- Leadership Utah, Salt Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
- Young Alumni Association, University of Utah
- Order of Omega
- Member of Utah Society of Fund Raisers, and 2006 Fund Raiser of the Year
- Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute faculty member
- Presidents Leadership Conference faculty member
- Founder of Utah Alpha Educational Foundation
- Tau South Province President 1990-1994
- President and Member of the Utah Alpha House Corporation
- Member and Chairman of the Utah Alpha Chapter Advisory Board
Scott and his wife, Lisa, are long-time residents of Salt Lake City, where they raised their two children, Abby and Alex.
For his lifelong dedication and commitment to Phi Delta Theta, the Fraternity is proud to honor Brother M. Scott Mietchen with the Legion of Merit.